Team ThinkUp! introduces the 9 Traits of Critical Thinking™ through the lenses of grade-appropriate core content in a colorful, comic-book style. Ideas for cross-curricular activities support teachers as they extend the 9 traits beyond the Student Activity Book and into the core curriculum.
- Create awareness about the traits by placing the 9 traits poster in a prominent position on the classroom wall.
- Explore various Ways to Implement Team ThinkUp!
- Provide each student with a Student Activity Book.
- Ask students to write their names in the “This book belongs to:” space on the back.
- Invite students to complete the inside front cover activity, What Does Thinking Mean to You?
- Encourage students to share answers with partners, small groups, or the class.
- Introduce Team ThinkUp! by utilizing the Introductory Activity in the Teacher Guide.
- Allow students to examine the front and back cover of the Team ThinkUp! Student Activity Book and have students familiarize themselves with the nine traits and the corresponding icons.
During ongoing use:
- Choose any trait to begin Team ThinkUp! and allot approximately 15 minutes per activity.
- Continue utilizing Team ThinkUp! activities until all nine traits have been presented.
- Extend trait development throughout the school year by using the Strengthening the Trait, Revisit the Trait, and Across the Curriculum components in the Teacher Guide.
Once all activities in the student book are complete:
- Complete the Team ThinkUp! Concluding Activity with students.
- Invite students to complete the inside back cover activity, What Does Thinking Mean to You?
- Encourage students to compare this answer to their answer (of the same question) in the front of their book.
- Answer the following question as a class, How has thinking changed as a result of studying the 9 Traits of Critical Thinking?
- Place Student Activity Books in student portfolios as evidence of growth in thinking for the school year.
How will you use Team ThinkUp! in your classroom? Leave a comment below!
Click the link below to download this guide as a PDF.